Prepare & make the most of your trip.
The big day is getting closer, so it is now time to prepare. Your successful entry into Australia depends on you completing ALL the necessary steps required by the Australian government at the correct time.
We have provided this list, however, you will receive detailed information after you apply to ensure you understand all the necessary steps prior to departure.
8 + WEEKS BEFORE DEPARTURE:
- Apply for your visa: If you have applied for your visa online (e-visa), bring the printout of the email of the Visa Grant with you and save on your phone.
- Check the requirements regarding entry to Australia.
- Apply for your passport, ensure your passport is valid 6 months beyond your longest possible stay.
- If you are considering driving a car in Australia, apply for an International Driver’s License. You cannot apply for an International Driver’s License once you are in Australia.
- Purchase your insurance through your preferred provider. Remember that the start date should be the date you depart.
1 WEEK BEFORE DEPARTURE:
- Make an extra copy of your passport information page and visa (and leave a copy with your family at home)
- Pack a hard copy of Travel Insurance Policy with contact details
- Document showing that you are enrolled on the national health scheme in your home country, if you plan to apply for Medicare in Australia (UK, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Belgian and Italian residents only).
- Have sufficient funds for your first month in Australia.
- Bring a copy of your CV / Resume (digital) and, if possible, all work references in English.
- Make sure your mobile phone is unlocked
And some important things to remember...
Leave a copy of your passport, visa receipt, driver’s license, insurance policy and flight details at home in case you lose these documents.
There are a few things you will need to consider when making your plans for Australia:
- Bring sufficient money with you to Australia: the Australian Government will stipulate the minimum acceptable amount when you apply for your Working Holiday Visa, currently this is AUD 5,000.
- There are many reasons as to why you may not find a job as quickly you would like. Please make sure you bring enough money to support yourself and allow you to live in Australia before starting your first paid job.
- The safest way to bring your money to Australia is to transfer it before you leave home via your Australian bank account. You will need to apply at least 2 weeks prior to arrival in Australia. Details of how to apply will be sent to you by your agent in your home country. Other options are PayPal credits or debit cards.
- Do not bring a suitcase! It has been our experience that many participants who bring a suitcase will buy a backpack soon after they arrive. Backpacks are much easier to carry and more convenient when you need to move from place to place. Remember to always pack light!
- As Australia is located in the Southern Hemisphere, summer and winter are opposite to the seasons in the Northern Hemisphere. Australian summers can be extremely hot and winters are quite cool in the South, so pack accordingly. If you have been pre-placed in work please read the uniform/clothing instructions contained in your placement pack.
Costs & Inclusions
We pride ourselves on being upfront and honest about our fees so you know exactly the costs, where your fees go, what's included and what's not. Our package includes all the essentials that you’ll need plus a few extras to make sure you have the best experience possible.
Learn moreLearn more
If you would prefer living with an Australian family, check out Au Pair in Australia. this is a immersive cultural exchange experience that includes pre-arranged placement full board plus pocket money.
Learn moreLearn more
Travelling in Australia
Australia is on everyone's bucket list. As an AIFS traveller you have access to exclusive discounts and honest advice about what to do and where to go. AIFS Travel saves you money and time and gets you the best deals. Click here to learn more.
Learn moreLearn more
You helped me to enjoy my time in Australia. It was good that I could also ask you. I just wanted to say thank You!Leonie, Germany